Saturday 2 July 2016

Week 31: My Interdisciplinary Connection Map

This week we have been looking at working across disciplinary boundaries and were asked to think about our own interdisciplinary connections.  My first step was to better understand what was meant by the term 'disciplinary' and came across the following Nissani (1995) definition as sited in the  Matheson & Freeman (1997) reading that states that defines a discipline "as any comparatively self-contained and isolated domain of human experience which possesses its own community of experts. Every discipline has its peculiar constellation of distinctive components: such things as shared goals, concepts, facts, tacit skills, methodologies, personal experiences, values, and aesthetic judgments".

This then got me thinking about the different 'hats' that I have come to wear within the education sector - thinking of these as disciplines in a sense.  Here is the initial map that I came up with:

Hopefully I haven't got too much of track with my diagram - as it does not refer directly to interdisciplinary practice in the classroom - but more at taking a interdisciplinary approach to improving my educational practice by looking reflectively from multiple viewpoints.

Two potential connections from this map as near future goals
The first connection that I am keen to develop in that between my school students and the University Computer Science Department.  Computer Sciences is something that has always interested me and something I have dabbled in a tiny bit - but never explored in depth.  Recently an opportunity has opened up (through my online connections) where I am able to trial a series of computer science lessons aimed at primary students as a part of a PHD study. This will enable a connection between my students and the university where I see reciprocal benefits for all stakeholders.  For the university, we are able to trial and provide valuable feedback as they develop their programmes.  For my students and myself - we are able to engage in rich learning, gaining a deeper understanding of computer science fundamentals.  It is also very empowering for my students, opening up options for future career paths that they may have never previously considered.  Already they are enthusiastic members of the coding movement - this now takes that enthusiasm to a whole new level!  This connection becomes a highly collaborative venture and involves a lot of critical thinking across disciplines - working towards a common goal from different perspectives (programme developers, primary students, classroom teacher).

The second connection extends from the first - where I can take what I learn from the context of working with my Bromley School students and the context as a teacher working with the university and apply to my role as a professional development provider (eTime).  A challenge I have faced in the past when delivering professional development to teachers is that I have over time become more and more disconnected with actual classroom practice (ie haven't always had the opportunity to 'walk the talk').  As a result of (hopefully) successful collaboration with the university - I can better assist fellow teachers to integrate computer science concepts into the primary curriculum.

The Benefits?
Matheson and Freeman (1997) highlight the educational benefits of an interdisciplinary approach for students:
  • a better overall comprehension of global interdependencies, along with the development of multiple perspectives, points of view, and values
  • an increase in the ability to make decisions, think critically and creatively, and synthesize knowledge beyond the disciplines
  • the increased ability to identify, assess and transfer significant information needed for the promotion of cooperative learning, a better attitude towards self as a learner and as a meaningful member of a community solving novel problems
  • increased motivation
I think the same can be said for educators as we design learning experiences for our students. I think it is important for us to look at problems/opportunities from multiple perspectives, where possible taking a interdisciplinary approach so that we too can advance in our critical thinking, creativity, pedagogy and essential academia (Jones, 2009).

References

Jones, C.(2009). Interdisciplinary approach - Advantages, disadvantages, and the future benefits of interdisciplinary studies.ESSAI, 7(26), 76-81. Retrieved from http://dc.cod.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1121&context=essai

Mathison,S.. & Freeman, M.(1997). The logic of interdisciplinary studies. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, 1997. Retrieved from http://www.albany.edu/cela/reports/mathisonlogic12004.pdf

Nissani, M. (1995). Fruits, salads, and smoothies: A working definition of interdisciplinarity. Journal of Educational Thought, 29(2), 121-128.









No comments:

Post a Comment