Tuesday 31 May 2016

Week 26: My Professional Community

For this week's reflection we are required to take a deeper look at our community of practice looking at organisational culture, changes that are occurring in our wider professional context and how we as a community are addressing them. The community that I will refer to here, is the school in which I work part time.

It was in fact the unique culture (heart) of school that attracted me to work there in the first place. For the past 5 years I have had some involvement with the school as an external PD facilitator. Although I worked across a wide range of schools, there was something about this school that stood out for me - and that was the ‘vibe’ that you had every time you entered through the gates. I could ‘feel’ a real sense of empowerment for the children - where everyone has something to offer. It was a place that fostered a strong sense of belonging and high aspirations. It was a place that had confidence in their students to experience success in the world - much like Mark Wilson’s TED talk around building a culture of success.

Exciting opportunities to learn were accessible to all students who entered through those gates - opportunities that were innovative and highly personalised through a Reggio-inspired philosophy of 8 Guiding Principles that were recently developed collectively by the team - best described by one of the school leaders here.

Now that I belong to this community, the unique school culture is even more evident and I can experience first hand the impact it has on the why, when and how learning takes place. It is now my responsibility to help contribute to our school culture by actively engaging with the Guiding Principles and using them to inform the decisions that I make in my teaching/facilitation. It is also my responsibility to help build that culture of success through the opportunities that I can provide for them. Drawing on my own expertise in the area of eLearning I can assist our community in utilising digital technologies in ways that align with and enhance our philosophy for learning. I can also utilise my professional learning networks to give our community global presence. For example - creating digital games for other kids around the world to play, publishing eBooks to iTunes, collaborative coding etc) - demonstrating to our students that anything is possible!

Our community of practice is responsive to the changes that are occurring in the Education profession. We recognise the impact that rapidly evolving digital technologies are having on society - and that the educational needs of our digital natives are very different to those of the generations that came before them. We have had to rethink the ‘what’, ‘when’ and ‘how’ we teach. Currently we are moving to a more collaborative approach to teaching and learning and looking at ways in which we can nurture greater student agency and learner independence through our Guiding Principles.

We are also looking at how we can effectively use digital technologies to transform teaching and learning - utilising Ruben Peuntedura’s SAMR model (with consideration of TPCK) to guide us. This also means improving our student’s access to technology with a move to a 1:1 programme. This year we have offered a BYOD (iPad) programme but recognise that cost of the device is a major barrier for many of our families. We are currently looking at funding options for tackling this challenge and ways in which we can provide opportunities for our parents to up-skill and experience the (transformational) benefits that digital technologies can offer our community of learners.












9 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy

    I think I am learning more about teaching and writing blogs from reading other people's than I am actually doing it myself. I am becoming a bit of a blog surfer. Its lovely to hear you talking about the 'vibe' of a school when you walk through the gates. I am at Gisborne Girls High School and I feel the same vibe even when I go into school in the weekend. I am finding students are often getting more out of the extracurricular opportunities I help offer them than what I do in the classroom. Last week I was TIC for 80 students either competing, judging or generally volunteering for the local Gym Festival. Students have been stopping me all day every day in the corridor wanting to chat about it. I wish that were that excited about my Maths classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace,
      Thanks for your comment. :) I think those extra-curricular opportunities that you are providing for your students is fantastic and I'm sure positively impacts the relationship that you have with your students in the classroom. During our course readings I recall Hattie referring to the importance of relationship with the teacher? I know if I think back (decades ago) to when I was a student, the teachers who were most memorable and had the biggest impact on my learning were those who took the time to really know me (beyond the classroom). You sound like that sort of teacher! :)

      Delete
  2. It was great to read about the 'vibe' of your school and the fact that you were able to feel this prior to working there as a teacher. This sort of environment is so important to students well being and learning. We have introduced BYOD with our year 9's this year, and the parents/whanau have been offered various plans through the school to make if more affordable for them. However, with technology changing so quickly their IPads may need to be updated every couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that fast evolving technology poses a bit of an issue for us when introducing BYOD. I still think the iPad is a great choice, given the diverse features/apps this device can provide for learning. I guess the challenge for us comes in making sure that all teachers are aware of these features and how they can be fully utilised. That is an area we are really working hard on at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Mandy
    I have long admired the brave approach that your school took a number of years ago when it implemented a Reggio inspired approach to primary education. This approach has been a major influence on many aspects of early childhood education in NZ but has not been as influential on your sector. The leadership at your school has been courageous and inspirational as has the collaboration of the teaching teams. Children leaving our kindergarten on your school grounds and moving into this exciting programme as very fortunate. The projects that they can be involved in provide the opportunity for deep engagement in learning and foster an inquiry/ problem solving approach. As I read your post I was reminded of a quote in an article I read by Hopkins et al (2015) "..we need to follow Matt Miles' (1967,1975) edict "Pick an innovation and go at it HARD". Implement it with precision and energy, then study the effort, reflect on it, re-energise and refine" (p. 276). I am wondering if the investigation of ways to increase collaboration and student agency is one way you are now refining the innovative pedagogy of the school.
    Reference:
    Hopkins,D., Stringfield,S., Harris,A.,Stoll,L. & Mackay, T (2014) School and system improvement: a narrative state-of-the-art review. School effectiveness and school improvement, 25:2, 257-281.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raewyn, what fantastic affirmation for us hearing your comments! I will share this with the staff if you don't mind? I agree with your reference to our leadership as courageous and inspirational - such a great environment to work in. :)

      Delete
    2. You are welcome to share this with the staff. I look forward to the next chapter in your school's journey.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mandy,
    It is certainly a wonderful advantage to have a look in at schools before you join them. Schools that have the 'vibe' like this draw you in and you want to belong and immediately feel a need that you can contribute and be a part of them. It is very exciting times working in a CoP who are responsive to the changes that are occurring in the Education system. I love how your school is embracing these changes and acknowledging that there are challenges that come with change. After attending Ruben Peuntedura’s presentation recently, we are also revisiting and looking at how best we can transform teaching and learning by effectively using the digital technologies that we have available. We are asking ourselves Ruben's question, Can I do this better? Sometimes nothing changes but other times we adapt and improve and make changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynette,
      Wasn't it great to hear from Ruben Puentedura in person! I have been using SAMR and often making reference to it for a few years now but it was not until hearing Ruben talk about it (with reference to TPACK) that I really got it! Loved his passionate explanation of the levels and as you pointed out - the simplicity of that question 'Can I do this better?'

      Delete